Monday, November 9, 2009

The potato problem

Have you ever noticed that bags of potatoes seem to be less expensive when you buy the larger bags?  In my area there is hardly a difference between the price of a small bag and a large one.  Sometimes the larger one is even less expensive.  I really don't need the larger bag.  Truth be told, I barely use the small one.  It feels so wasteful to throw away things I don't use.  Still, I just can't pass up a good bargain.  So, what is a girl to do?  Share.  My church has various ministries that can use the excess potatoes and other foods that I cannot eat before they spoil.  I also have neighbors that need to feed their families.

I have to admit that sharing is often hard for me.  The reason why it is hard is not because I dislike it but rather that I like it too much.  It's almost like an addition for me.  It's very hard to stop once I get started.  The warm fuzzy feeling I get when someone knows I cared enough to share with them makes me feel so great that I want to share more and more.  At the same time, however, I know that I have limits to what I can share.  I hate that feeling of limitation.  Whenever I feel that way, however, I try to remember that each little thing that a person does can combine with other little things that other people do to make a big difference.

My challenge for those of you reading this is to do one little thing today and encourage others around you to do the same.  Share your excess potatoes or take some of those canned goods your local grocery store has on sale to a local food pantry.  Together our little acts of kindness can make a big difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Place Comments Here: