Saturday, November 7, 2009

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Plato's inspirational words "necessity is the mother of invention"* have made me reflect upon the upside of our down economy.  Having to do more with less sparks creativity in meal planning.

As I write this post I am fondly remembering my days of learning how to cook.  I recall all too clearly putting green food coloring into sugar cookies and dreaming about how wonderful they would look and taste.  They ended up looking like they were overgrown with algae and not tasting much better.

Although my cooking skills are not up there with famous chefs like Emeril Lagasse, I have come a very long way since the green algae cookies.  I have learned both though my own experimentation and lessons learned from other cooks who have paved the way before me that a few simple ingredients can be put together in the right combinations to make delicious and inexpensive meal solutions.  I have also become more brave about trying out new recipes as I broaden my horizons.

My challenge to you today is to try cooking a new recipe.  It might give you some money-saving inspiration for your own meal planning. Eat out less and cook more.  Let your cooking be a form of entertainment and an outlet for the creative potential that is hidden within you.
  
*Quotation Reference Source:  http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/33942.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Place Comments Here: